Mom, Wife, Chef, Gardener, Dog Wrangler, Mom, Writer, Friend, Daughter, Sister, Mom, Creative Problem Solver, DIY Chick...figuring out life one day at a time.



Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mom/Fry Cook: Snack Attack!

So I'm hungry, the baby is soundly asleep and I find myself with actual time on my hands! Shocking, I know. And while there are several chores that need done, did I mention I'm hungry? I find leftover mashed potatoes in my fridge and leftover paneer from my saag adventures and suddenly a light bulb goes on in my head. No, not the refrigerator light, an idea light bulb. I remembered a recipe I had seen several months ago for an Indian style potato fritter and just like that my mind is made up. The recipe itself is easy and open to lots of interpretation.
Put leftover mashed potatoes in a bowl (I had about a cup and a half). Add paneer (roughly half a cup), crumbled and a spoonful of plain yogurt for moisture. Finely dice one jalapeno and add to the bowl, along with one tablespoon of curry powder and a little salt. Chop some cilantro and add in, and if the mixture is too moist add in a tablespoon or two of flour. The original recipe called for peas, sadly I had none.
potato fritter batter
Next, form the batter into golf ball sized balls and flatten slightly into pucks.
potato fritters ready for breading.
The fritters are now ready for a standard breading procedure. Flour, eggs, panko. I was out of eggs, which is shocking if you know me and my love of eggs, so instead I used some milk and plain yogurt that approximated the viscosity of eggs and seemed to work just fine.  Fry the fritters in a little oil until golden brown and crispy. I did a shallow pan fry, not a deep fry. I didn't have the amounts of oil lying around or the patience to clean up after a deep frying session.
crispy potato fritters ready for eating.
Drain on a paper towel and devour.
I made an easy dipping sauce of yogurt (again, I know) mayo, cilantro and lime juice, and salt of course. The original recipe called for chutney but that isn't something I keep around the house so I was fresh out.
They turned out yummy. Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, just a little spice from the curry. Very addictive. I have eaten six and am putting the rest away before I hurt myself.
Snack attack definitely satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment