Mom, Wife, Chef, Gardener, Dog Wrangler, Mom, Writer, Friend, Daughter, Sister, Mom, Creative Problem Solver, DIY Chick...figuring out life one day at a time.



Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mom/Weather Girl: Snow Day!

Here in the mountains of Washington State, at an elevation of 2,247 ft we have officially had our first day of snow.



Looking out the back door at the beginning of the snow.
 Luckily I had nowhere in particular to be, so I got to spend the day watching the snow fall. Unluckily the baby woke up sick today and has spent the day fussy and feverish so I didn't exactly get a relaxing snow day, but when he was sleeping I made something that helped make the day better and even more cozy.
Apple Oatmeal Muffins.
My husband had made oatmeal this morning, our favorite way, with diced apples and cinnamon mixed in. We had some leftover and I got inspired to make muffins with it. I borrowed Alton Brown's basic Old-Fashioned Muffin recipe (have I mentioned my total geek-girl crush on him?) and added my own stir-ins. Here's what I did.
2 1/4 cups A.P. Flour, 2 tsp. Baking Powder, 1 tsp. Baking Soda, pinch of salt and 1 tsp Cinnamon sifted together. 
1/2 cup Sugar, 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil, 1 Egg, 1 Egg Yolk, 1 Cup Plain Yogurt whisked together until combined.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, then stir in 1 cup of cooked oatmeal (with apples and cinnamon) and 1/2 cup diced fresh apples. Spoon into muffin cups, top with an oatmeal struessell crumb (oats, butter, brown sugar and spices) and bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes.
apple oatmeal muffins
They turned out great, good flavor and texture, not too sweet. And the aroma of cinnamon and apples baking totally made up for the continuously fussy baby.
Here's to more snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment